Chequessett Yacht & Country Club
General Manager Job Description
Position Overview: The General Manager is hired by the Board of Governors, reports to the Board President and is responsible for carrying out the Club’s policies, procedures, and directives.
The General Manager is accountable for the financial performance and all areas of operations for the Club, and daily, directly manages all staff, operations, and departments to ensure the synergism of all Club activities. The General Manager is the Board’s bridge to the staff, the Club’s membership, and committees, enabling the Board to work more exclusively on strategic planning and long-term focus of Club governance.
- The General Manager will provide day to day overall management of the Club, be readily accessible, and provide open lines of communication with our membership and assist our staff in the operation of the Club’s activities.
- The General Manager will oversee the management of the following departments:
- Golf Operations lead by the Club Golf Professional who will manage the Pro Shop,Golf tournaments, lessons, and activities, and staff
- Tennis Operations lead by the Tennis Professional, who will manage tennis tournaments, lessons and activities, court availability and staff
- Sailing Operations lead by Sailing/Waterfront Manager who will manage sailing events, the Club Boathouse, use of Boathouse equipment, and staff
- Golf Course Superintendent and course maintenance.
- Children’s Summer Camps lead by the Camp Manager who will manage the Club’s “Kids” Camp, schedule, and activities,
- Weddings and Events – lead by the Club’s Events Director who will manage external events/weddings, the scheduling of events, coordination with clients, patrons, and vendors
- Food and Beverage, led by the Food Service Manager who will manage the operations of the Club’s snack bar, staff, supplies, and food preparation.
- The General Manager will lead the development, implementation, and oversight of processes to attract and retain members and revenue creating events. Club activities are developed by both management staff and Chequessett committees.
- The General Manager will provide leadership and oversight of clubhouse operations.
- The GM ensures the Club is compliant with regulatory requirements (Food, Liquor,Health, etc.), licensing, and insurance.
- The General Manager, working with the Board and Finance Committee Chair, is responsible for monitoring the financial health of the Club, developing budgets for Board approval, and projecting cashflow requirements.
- The General Manager will establish an annual planning process that provides a clear, integrated, detailed plan for seasonal activities and operations, ensures appropriate coordination across activities and with facility maintenance, enhances staff knowledge of club activities, and facilitates communication of club activities to members and guests.
- The GM is responsible for the development and implementation of all service/operating standards training
- The GM will serve as the Club’s knowledge expert and internal source for training staff on fully utilizing the Club’s management software system.
- The General Manager will lead the efforts to develop and manage the digital document file and email system for the Club’s files and records
- The General Manager will participate in the development and implementation of the Club’s Strategic Plan.
- The General Manager has hire and discharge authority of club personnel except for the Course Superintendent and Head Golf Professional. These hire and discharge decisions require Board’s approval.
- The General Manager will develop, maintain, and disseminate a fundamental management philosophy that recognizes our staff is a key part of our competitive advantage.
- The GM will help design programs intended to motivate and improve the performance of staff members. These programs and initiatives should consider the needs of members and staff.
- The primary task of the General Manager is to ensure that direct report’s goals and objectives are defined, understood, evaluated, and enhanced on a continual basis.
- The General Manager will refine and monitor basic personnel policies consistent with the Board’s desire to always treat employees fairly, and to be compliant with applicable laws and regulations.
- The General Manager is responsible for providing energized, motivated leadership for department managers and staff. He/she is innovative and accepts responsibility for the Club’s performances in all areas. Additionally, her/she shall provide consistency and continuity for the Club and shall exhibit strong executive leadership to all areas of the operations, including the Board and Committees. The General Manager will advise both new Presidents and Board Members to ensure continuity of the Club’s operations/procedures.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with all staff to ensure clear understanding of individuals’ roles, activity objectives as well as club goals, ensure effective coordination across club functions, ensure staff knowledge of club activities regardless of department, and foster cooperation.
- Ensure effective, accurate, and timely communication with members about club activities and member inquiries.
- Interact with staff, members, guests, and the community in a manner that is professional, positive, and works to always ensure customer satisfaction
- Act as a liaison between Chequessett and the surrounding communities to cultivate relationships and support the overall objectives of Chequessett. This includes businesses, local governments, and civic organizations
- The General Manager is highly visible to both members and staff, and listens to their input, praise, and criticisms.
Term of Employment: Full time, Year-round
Requirements & Qualifications:
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
- Minimum of 4-year college degree in business administration, hospitality, or related field of study
- Preference given to Professional Gold Management or related degree
- Strong personnel management, public speaking, communication, and written skills
- Experience in vendor and supply-chain management
- Financial management
- Human Resource management
- Passion for success with high energy and the proven ability to drive successful change while delivering strong results.
- Knowledgeable about Point-of-Sale (POS) systems, operation and monitoring is a plus.