Golf Course Superintendent
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
STATUS: Full-time/exempt employee
START DATE: Immediate
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due by 5:00 pm on Friday, Feb. 9
POSITION LOCATION: The Links at Mass Golf, 300 West Main Street, Norton, MA
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Links at Mass Golf is a public 18-hole par-3 golf course located in Norton, MA. We are seeking a full-time, yearround Superintendent to be responsible for all aspects of maintaining and improving the golf course, including playing surfaces and surrounding landscape. The Superintendent will work closely with the Director of Operations and Head PGA Golf Professional to provide an excellent golf experience to our members, daily fee players, First Tee participants, and other special program attendees hosted by The Links with an emphasis on teamwork and communication.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strive to continuously improve agronomic conditions to support a high-level golf experience, with specific attention to the condition of the putting greens.
- Develop a budget plan and manage annual operating and capital budgets.
- Responsible for all phases of golf course maintenance and agronomic operations, including but not limited to:
- Create and implement mowing schedule, water usage plan, turf cultivation schedule.
- Purchase and application of fertilizers, pesticides, and other necessary products required to maintain high quality turf.
- Maintain ornamental plants, plant beds, shrubs, trees, and wetlands on facility grounds.
- Recruits, supervises, and retains maintenance staff. Conducts annual employee performance evaluations and exercises disciplinary action when required.
- Provides technical, operational, and safety training for employees to ensure that staff is working within OSHA, club safety, state, and federal guidelines for safe working conditions.
- Oversees subordinates in proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment.
- Supervises and participates in the application and recording of chemicals (fertilizers, pesticides, etc.) on the facility grounds in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Schedules maintenance practices around member play and outings to maximize efficiency and minimize disruption to members.
- Manage all relevant golf course operations, including payroll, variable expenses and supplies, chemicals & fertilizers, and tree removal/maintenance.
- Coordinates with third-party vendors for snow removal, goose control, and other maintenance activities when necessary.
- Provide routine, clear communications to stakeholders regarding maintenance activities, operational challenges, and future needs.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of previous experience as a superintendent or first assistant superintendent
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.Possess or obtain within 90 days and maintain a valid commercial Cat 37 pesticide license.
- Possess or obtain and maintain an OSHA medical card.
- Willing and able to work weekends and holidays as needed.
- Must pass a background check prior to start of employment.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Interpersonal skills to resolve conflicts and work with supervisors, officials, employees, members, and the public.
- Knowledge of the game of golf, golf rules, and methods of play.
- Ability to anticipate personnel, equipment, and material requirements related to golf course maintenance and repair assignments.
- General knowledge of construction and maintenance of infrastructure and other components normally associated with golf courses and landscapes including irrigation and drainage systems, cart paths, shelters, furniture, and fixtures.
- 2-year Degree or Certificate in Turf Management (or related field, like agronomy, horticulture, plant science, or soil science)
- Computer skills required for financial reporting and control of operations, including use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Prefer Certification by the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America
- Starting salary range is $62,000 - $70,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Comprehensive benefits package available including Health, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance
- Paid time off and 401(k) plan with matching component.
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Professional development opportunities
- Mass Golf staff apparel provided and access to The Links at Mass Golf (golf course and simulators)
Please send cover letter, resume, references, and salary expectations/rationale via email to:
Director of Operations
ABOUT MASS GOLF:
Mass Golf is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that is dedicated to advancing golf in Massachusetts by building an engaged and inclusive community around the sport. With a community made up of over 110,000 golf enthusiasts and over 360 member clubs, Mass Golf is one of the largest state golf associations in the country. Members enjoy the benefits of handicapping, engaging golf content, course rating and scoring services along with the opportunity to compete in an array of events for golfers of all ages and abilities. At the forefront of junior development, Mass Golf is proud to offer programming to youth in the state through First Tee Massachusetts and subsidized rounds of golf by way of Youth on Course.